1.10.08

Reflection on September 25th 2008: Colouring the Cultural Buildiings

When I heard that different cultures paint their buildings with different types of colours I thought about and agreed that this would seem pretty obvious because all types of cultures have different ideas of aesthetics. I did not expect the extremity of the difference among the colours. The majority of Nordic architecture is coloured in pale colours while the majority of Mexican architecture is coloured in vibrant and very vivid pronounced colours. In the Mexican architecture, a lot of primary colours are also used. After I thought about this for a while I was wondering what the theme colour for Winnipeg would be. I’m pretty sure there is none or if there is it would be as bland as it gets. A lot of Winnipeg’s architecture has become very boring. The architecture here was once very ornate and interesting as it was the “Chicago of the North” but since that time the majority of our architectural colours have declined in interest. I’m not saying that all of our architecture is painted with boring colours, but a majority of it is. No one building really stands out by itself anymore. This is especially the case with the housing projects as most of the houses are created in the same style as well as colours these days.

~Trevor

No comments: